Friday 12 February 2010

Character Review: Protagonist




Liam Neeson plays the role of Bryan Mills an ex-CIA agent who needs to find his daughter who has been taken hostage from a group of Albanian gangsters. He is portrayed as a protagonist in numerous ways, the use of script, costume, lighting and camera shots.

The script places him in the situation where it is obvious to the audience that he is the protagonist, slightly cliched with the man saving daughter from bad men storyline. We also see he is a much darker character than normal with the threats, violence and clothing.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." In this particular scene you witness the transformation of the protagonist from a loving father into the dangerous CIA agent.

His clothing in the film is smart but business-like showing the seriousness of the plot and character, it also dark which blends with most of the scenes due to the fact of the lighting and atmosphere they display.

This character does not really compare with our protagonist but this is due to the fact that the thriller is only based on the opening of the film and as we are not allowed to expand on the storyline.


No comments:

Post a Comment